Monday, March 26, 2012

Creating Memories

My eldest son's birthday is coming up and that has me back into cake mode, thinking and planning his birthday cake. We used to do all ice cream cakes from Dairy Queen. Then one year I made one myself. The kids were so impressed, I have been making them ever since!
Overall, they are a delight to do. I really enjoy the challenge, and they love the memory of helping make it and of having it as a centrepiece.
Warning to those of you new to this: expect it to take a LOT of time, especially for your first few cakes. And some cakes are, by design, much more intricate and time-consuming. If you plan to make a theme cake, you need to plan accordingly!
This cake is the first homemade theme cake I ever made, and now I laugh at how simple it was. However, it was enough to impress my children, and it got me started on making homemade cakes. It is a space shuttle, in case you can't tell! I used liquorice strings to outline the shapes, and smarties to decorate it. Confetti sprinkles decorated the sky. The part that most impressed the kids was the sparkler boosters.

This cake is the first shaped cake I ever made. It is two crossed lightsabers for a Star Wars party, in case you can't tell. The kids were extremely impressed, I think mostly by the size of it. Each lightsaber is one 9 X 13 cake halved vertically, then lined up, making the lightsabers each over two feet long! I covered it all with white icing then used red and green liquorice strings to outline the different parts of each lightsaber, and gum drops for the buttons. I used spray-on food colouring to make the actual glowing part. Just be sure that you cover the parts around where you are spraying or you will find yourself scraping icing off and redoing parts of your cake! Can you tell that is experience is talking?

I have taken great pleasure in doing these for my kids and look forward to sharing more cakes with you in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment